Seasons: An Exploration of Life Cycles

Sunday evening the students of the PhD program in Expressive Therapies will also sponsor "Seasons: An Exploration of Life Cycles" - a performance and gallery show of the creative works of first-year Expressive Therapies doctoral students. The gallery show and performance will follow the PhD student research conference on Sunday, April 30th. The gallery opening will be at Marran Gallery at 5pm, and the performance will be at 6pm at the Marran Theater.

Igniting the Synapses
Seasons: An Exploration of Life Cycles
Gallery Opening


As the scientist uses a microscope to study the cells of a leaf, or a astronaut uses a ship to view the whole of planet earth, so did these art-based researchers use color, light, mood, tone, self-reflection and time to explore their subjects. Displayed in Marran are the creative documentation of the Art Apprenticeship’s doctoral student’s two semester research projects. These artist-scientists invite you to view their offerings, to think about the season, and meditate on the cycles of our lives.

Emily Marsick made her art installation in response to several poems. Poetry Therapy is a modality in which a person reads a poem and responds personally with creative writing or another art modality. Emily used five poems as a departure point for the entire installation about therapy as a reflection of the growth processes found in nature and in the creative process.

Ji Hyun Lee presents Home is Where the Heart Is made from boxes and found objects. Have ever thought about what kind of furniture you would be if you could be furniture? Or, have you ever thought about which room represents you? A bedroom, a living room, or a kitchen? A single piece of furniture does not make a room and a single room does not make a house. A house without a family does not make a home….

Dorothy Anderson has pieces shown in the gallery which are selected from a series created as part of a heuristic arts based research project titled, Kylie and Mommy: The Story of Our Connection As Told Through Art. The art and corresponding poetry is my response to watching videotapes of our daily mother/daughter activities recorded when she was 3 ½ to 5 ½ months old. The following themes surfaced in the art and taught me about the quality and evolution of our relationship: Potential, Journey, Reciprocity, Independence, Stillness, Witnessing and Imagination.

Steven Durost uses large formatted nature pictures to reveal the striking beauty of a flower and a leaf, and seeing them up close unveils the design and intimacy of a whole other world. The afghan pieces speak to the precise work of rows and rows of stitches, yet the pieces themselves call across the years to embody the similarities and differences among four generations. His work expresses connection between the ethereal life cycle beauty of a flower and a human, whether in a few days or across generations.


Igniting the Synapses
Seasons: An Exploration of Life Cycles
Performance Pieces


Created in separate unity, these art-based research pieces started out as unbounded and unguided explorations of the artist-scientists doctoral students of the Art Apprenticeship class. They supported each other through two semesters to create individual performance pieces. However, it was not until bringing the pieces together that they realized they had all been working on parts of the life cycle. Serendipitous? Magic? Coincidence? You decide as you view the debut of these creative pieces.

Dorothy Anderson-Perales
Kylie and Mommy: The Story of Our Connection As Told Through Art

This performance piece tells the story of connection between my daughter, Kylie and myself as we grew to know and relate to each other when she was between the ages of 3 ½ to 5 ½ months old. During that time, I video taped some of our activities and then responded to what I witnessed though visual art and poetry. A summary of my heuristic, arts based research is expressed in this performance piece combining, poetry, photography, visual art, audio recording, song and movement.

Dong Min Kim
Towards My Own Musical Individuation

As a Korean woman raised in a Confucian culture that has required women to be silent, submissive, passive, dependent, obedient and inexpressive, I had a hard time figuring out how to be true to myself. Since I had long been trained as a classical musician, I had been banned from improvisation and encouraged only to recreate music as it was. I remember how frustrated I was when I was asked to improvise on the spot during the first improvisation class in my music therapy training. It was such a reawakening moment for me to realize that I needed to find my musical self to become fully human. Individuation is a life-long journey, and I just hope to be awake during my journey.

JI Hyun Lee
Circle of Family

I have been always fascinated by the uniqueness of each family I have met. After I came here, America, I became interested in my own family origin. A lot of meaning of life breathes in this small word, Family: Joy in birth, curiosity in a new beginning, happiness in companionship, wholeness in a sense of belonging, satisfaction in achievement, sadness in losing a loved one, and patience in hard times. The song is about a husband mourning for his dying wife. It is a sad song, but even death is part of the circle of family, and families go on forever. The pictures used here are from my own family and some are from Korean families.

Steven Durost
The Elder Projec

“Old age is no place for sissies” said the indomitable Betty Davis. Becoming old takes no particular effort; being old takes a great deal of courage. As life cycles into its final stages, one reminisces on life, death and everything in between. Life processing can be a source of great pain as well as great resiliency. My conceptualization of the elderly has been altered a number of times through my close connection with my older relatives, my creative counseling of nursing home residents in America, and my profound experience with traumatized elders in Capetown, South Africa. This art-based exploration is dedicated to each of these elders who taught me so much about life, about others and about myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a forum for discussion

100 days of dialogue!

40th anniversary of the Lesley University Expressive Therapy Program - save the date!